Book of Discipline Chapter 4
GOD ILLUSTRATETH THE CHARACTERISTICS OF MORTALS ACCORDINGLY AS
THEY ARE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THE FIRST OR SECOND RESURRECTION.
1. Consider the words of thy God, O man, and profit thou in the application of thy
judgment for the growth of thy soul everlastingly.
2. Of the first resurrection man saith: I know my rights and dare maintain them.
3. Of the second, he saith: I ask not for rights for my own self; whatsoever is put upon
me, that will I bear.
4. Of the first: No man shall impose upon me.
5. Of the second: Impose upon me whatsoever thou wilt.
6. Of the first: Let me justify myself in what I have done; behold, I am falsely accused.
7. Of the second: Jehovih knoweth my case; neither will I plead in my own behalf.
Whoso is falsely accused, let him wait; in time the Father will right all things.
8. Of the first: Let no man try to rule over me; I will maintain my liberty at all hazards.
9. Of the second: Since no man in all the world hath full liberty, why should I ask it?
10. Of the first: Make me a leader; let me be the head.
11. Of the second: Make me not a leader; lest I would feel responsible for those I led.
12. Of the first: I have done my share, let others do as well.
13. Of the second: Though I do all I can, yet I am short before Jehovih.
14. Of the first: O that I were rich as my neighbor, what a great good I would do!
15. Of the second: Take all I have, and at once.
16. Of the first: Myself, and then my family will I help; after that, others.
17. Of the second: We are all brothers and sisters; why shall we prefer one of Jehovih’s
children above another?
18. Of the first: I will not consider my shortcomings, lest I be dejected in spirit.
19. Of the second: Teach me, O Father, to look into my every act, word and thought, to
purify myself in Thy sight.
20. Of the first: What might the world say? Ah! my reputation is at stake!
21. Of the second: What will Jehovih say? With Him must I preserve my reputation, more
than with ten thousand worlds.
22. Of the first: Who injureth me shall suffer by my hand.
23. Of the second: Let us render good unto those that injure us.